Today, I woke up early to make heart shaped eggs and heart shaped chocolate chip pancakes for the kids. I set the table with our homemade Valentine's cards and small gifts. All of this is something I'd do every year, so doesn't really qualify as a mosquito bite. What I did that was over and above was taking all four kids to the indoor swim park. Slides, wave pool, toddler play area. They've been asking for months. I had a head and chest cold, and had absolutely NO desire to be seen in a swimsuit for 4 hours. But Kylie (yes, Kylie) wanted me to go. And it was clear that two adults would be necessary to watch Kian. So I relented. Can't say I had the best attitude at first, especially when I walked out of the dressing room to see two acquaintances sitting front and center in the viewing area. Pretty much had a mini panic attack at the thought of parading past them in all my glory. But I sucked it up (literally!) and walked proudly past them, knowing that making memories with my kids by swimming with them was worth it. And watching Kian go from crying and being afraid to put a toe in the water to going down the waterslide hundreds of times by the afternoon's end with a huge, proud smile, was worth it too. Even the hour I spent submerged in the toddler pool with one year olds, the efficiency of whose "swim diapers" I questioned, was endurable. Our family was in great need of some plain old fun. It was a great Valentine's Day.
Mosquito Bite: Took My Kids to the Water Park
Difference Made: Smiles, memories, and much-needed fun
No comments:
Post a Comment