Hello Blogger, my old friend.
I've come to talk with you again.
I return here a little trepidaciously. As of yet, no one has asked me why I've been AWOL. Either nobody gives a rat's hiney 'cause we're all too busy with facebook and pinterest and life to read blogs anyway, or those who DO miss my witty repartee are hesitant to annoy me by pestering me yet AGAIN.
Regardless, I return to my blog, if only to continue having a place to bare my innermost soul and thus avoid therapy. Also, I have missed having a forum with which to more thoroughly embarass my children.
Moving to a new home last November left me a little overwhelmed for a while. And then I suffered a mid-life crisis, which I blame entirely on Pepperidge Farm. I was on my hands and knees picking up goldfish crumbs, which had been stepped on and smashed into the carpet over the course of a few days while I waited to see if anyone would care. No one did. As I went in search of the vacuum, I pondered the fact that I had been cleaning up goldfish crumbs for 17 consecutive years. As much as I value the importance of clean carpets, I began to question if that was all there was to life. And then I made the mistake of reading some books. Some convicting, challenging, occasionally heart-wrenching, "what are you doing with your life?" books, the common theme of which is summed up in this quote from Mother Theresa:
“At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in.”
To love God and to love others, especially the "least of these," is the basic tenet of my faith. And since I became a Christian, it has been something I've tried to do, sometimes with better results than others. But if I'm honest, I have to confess I've been more of a fan of God than a follower. There is so much more to say on this subject, but we'll save that for another day. Let's just say there are going to be some leaps of faith in my future. It's time to get out of the comfortable stadium seats and onto the playing field. I have a feeling I'm gonna need to invest in a good helmet.
“At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in.”
To love God and to love others, especially the "least of these," is the basic tenet of my faith. And since I became a Christian, it has been something I've tried to do, sometimes with better results than others. But if I'm honest, I have to confess I've been more of a fan of God than a follower. There is so much more to say on this subject, but we'll save that for another day. Let's just say there are going to be some leaps of faith in my future. It's time to get out of the comfortable stadium seats and onto the playing field. I have a feeling I'm gonna need to invest in a good helmet.
No comments:
Post a Comment