theme

Monday, April 12, 2010

The Search for a Church

CHURCH F

Service Attended: 11:00 a.m. service

Welcome/Friendliness Rating - 4

I was a little concerned at first when I walked in the church and approached a gentleman with a nametag that said "Welcome" on it.  I asked him if he could point me in the direction of the children's sunday school classrooms, and he pretty much looked at me like a deer in the headlights.  He actually didn't say a word, but another young man overheard us and took us over to the welcome center to look at a map.  A map?  Wow....this place must be even bigger than it looks.  He told us where to find the little kid's rooms, and then offered to walk Kylie and Kara to the youth room.  Super friendly guy.  The atmosphere was very laid-back.  We got smiles from everyone, but not too many personal greetings, but in a church this size, I expect most people are afraid that you may be regular attenders and don't want to make the mistake of asking if you are new.  After the service the pastor came out to the coffee area and chatted with my parents and other folks as they left.

Service/Sermon Rating - 5
A very large sanctuary, but still felt "homey."  Children 1st grade and up sit in the service with their family, so Kelsea was there, but she behaved very nicely and I think she enjoyed being with us.  The sermon was geared toward long-time believers, so it was right up my alley.  There was so much good stuff I had to write some of it down so I wouldn't forget it.  Usually I am doodling, so this was a step in the right direction.  Here are a couple of approximate quotes from the sermon that I enjoyed:  "Of course I have an excuse to sin.....have you met my children?"  (Not that I've ever said this).  "Christians will wait in line for hours to buy concert tickets, but they go through a Sunday morning service looking at their watches to see when they can leave."  (Not that I have ever made looking at my watch part of a church review.....oh wait....).  "If some famous person were here at our church, people would be so excited to get up and come to the service....they would be pumped up.  But coming to church each week to worship the God who made the universe is more like a chore for us....though it should be the highlight of our week."  (Guilty as charged)  There was so much more good stuff....but I misplaced my notes so this excerpt from memory will have to suffice. 
Based on a scripture: Yes...Malachi.

Did we learn something new/see something in a different way:  Yes.   I learned that we as Christians do not always give our best to God, just as the priests offered up their "three-legged, cross-eyed goats" as sacrificial offerings instead of their best animals.  We too often give God our leftovers.  Oh....just remembered another "quote":  "Suicide bombers are willing to blow themselves up for their cause.  The only time we Christians want to strap on explosives and set them off is if someone asks us to work with the two year old class at church."  (Um...I may have mentioned jumping off a bridge once in this instance, but never anything about bombs).

Were we inspired to action by the sermon:  Absolutely

Did it lead to further discussion: Yes

Length of Service: ~ 75 minutes

Length of Time Before Looking at my Watch: Didn't look (and I wouldn't anyway, `cause that would just be wrong)

Children's Church and Sunday School Rating - 4

The sunday school classrooms were well marked.  A lady at an information desk had me fill out a form for Kian and Kelsea.  We received a number for Kian so they could find us via flashing the number on the screen in the sanctuary if needed.  People were very welcoming to the kids.  Kelsea liked her class, but only gave it a "4" because the teacher kept asking her to high-five him (I guess one time too many?).  I only rated this a 4 myself because it would be nice to have a place for the kids to go during the service.  But since it is only 1st grade and up, it's not a deal-breaker.
Adult Sunday School Rating - 4

The classes are divided up by ages:  Parents of Preschoolers; Parents of Elementary Kids;  Parents of Teens.  We have kids in each age group, so we could pretty much pick and choose.  Today we joined our friends in the Parents of Teens.  The study was very interesting, though it had nothing to do with raising teens (I can use all the help I can get, so I was kinda hoping....).  I felt comfortable enough to speak up once, which isn't easy (for me) when you're a visitor.  Wish some of the folks in class would have come over and introduced themselves afterwards, though.  Roger, being in denial, thought we should be in a class with younger adults.....he didn't want to be reminded that as a parent of a teen he will soon face a graying head much like 80% of those in our classs.
Youth Group Rating - 4.5
A good sized youth group, divided up into middle school and high school.  Further, the middle schoolers divide up into 6th/7th-8th for small group discussions.  Kara had a friend from school there, and Kylie knew a few boys in the group, but there were only a couple of girls her age there.  Regardless, she rated this her top youth group so far.  The kids were all very friendly, asked them about themselves, showed them around, etc. 

Building - 5
It's pretty much brand new, and is large but still feels comfortable and navigatable (is that a word?).
I think there are still parts of the church being finished up.  Didn't see the gym, etc. but maybe next time.

Personal Ratings (Our highest so far!)

Kylie: 5
Kara: 5
Kelsea: 4
Roger: 4
Erin: 5

No comments: