theme

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Search for a Church

CHURCH D

Service Attended: One service at 10:30 a.m.

Welcome/Friendliness Rating - 3

I don't remember there being any greeters, but the pastor came to our pew and greeted us before the service, talking to each of the kids and asking their names, ages, school, etc.  We had friends who attend this church that sat near us, so perhaps we didn't have that "lost" look about us that compels people to come introduce themselves.  Coffee was available in the foyer, and several folks were drinking it in the service.  The atmosphere was very casual. 

Service/Sermon Rating - 5

The sanctuary is fairly small and intimate.  The worship time was interesting.  Most of the contemporary worship songs were new to me, and some confused me with their lyrics ("the ocean is growing larger"...why?).  I felt like people were just going through the motions during the worship time...they didn't seem to be getting into the spirit of it much....but of course I can only judge on outward appearances. 

The Sermon:  Awesome!  I learned something new!!  It is difficult to be inspired by a sermon when you have grown up in the church and been a Christian since you were four years old.  Just being honest.  It is so hard to find a church where the sermons are geared not just toward the new believers, but toward building up those in the faith....we still need to be inspired and challenged and encouraged to look at things in a new light.  We need to hear ways that we can have an impact on the present culture.  We need to hear more than the basics of Christianity. 

Based on a scripture: Yes
Did we learn something new/see something in a different way: Yes...a new take on witnessing.
Were we inspired to action by the sermon: Yes....inspired to share the good news.
Did it lead to further discussion: Yes

Length of Service: 75 minutes
Length of Time Before Looking at my Watch: Didn't look

Children's Church and Sunday School Rating - 2

When the kids were released to children's church, I took them downstairs myself as there was no adult to lead them there. I found Kelsea's room after asking someone, and then had to ask again where Kian went, as there were no signs on the doors that told who went where. When I dropped off Kian, I told the teacher his name, and she barely acknowledged us. No one took his name or ours, so once again, I spent the service wondering how they would possibly find us if he became ill or had an accident without interrupting the service to do so. Things like this never bothered me before because everyone in my church knew me and my kids. I was always the one caring for the kids, not leaving mine with strangers. Now I am understanding how visitors feel a lot better.  Kelsea enjoyed her class, but there weren't a lot of kids on the whole in the children's church.  It was Spring Break, so maybe there were some families out of town.


Adult Sunday School Rating - N/A

Youth Group Rating - Not sure yet

I only remember seeing a few teens in the service.  Like, maybe three.  Doesn't bode well for the large youth group we're hoping for.

Building - 3

Medium sized.  Not a lot of signs to point you to where you need to go (or I missed them).  Kids' area was a little underwhelming.
Personal Ratings

Kylie: 2
Kara: 3
Kelsea: 4
Roger: 3
Erin: 3

No comments: