theme

Monday, October 10, 2011

Make a Difference Monday

This week I thought I'd share a couple of photos of our sponsored child, Sayda. Once a year we get updated information about her. A week or so ago I opened the World Vision envelelope and was surprised to see a young woman's face looking back at me.

When did this happen? It seems like only yesterday we received the first photo of her as a chubby-cheeked, grumpy-faced little girl.

She is in her last year of high school in Ecuador. We haven't been very good at establishing a written relationship with her. I SO wish we had taken the time to do so and gotten to know her as more than just a name and picture attached to a check we mailed out every month. Maybe it's not too late.

And now, meet our new sponsored child, Jomar.

I saw Jomar's face on another child sponsorship website, and even though we have another year or so left of supporting Sayda, I couldn't help myself from signing up to sponsor him. He reminds me so much of my Kian. He lives in the Philippines, where I have witnessed the poverty of children firsthand; where I have seen 4 year olds standing in the middle of traffic begging for money or trying to sell items to help feed their family; where I have driven past the houses built out of cardboard and aluminum and watched children in tattered clothing playing in the waste-covered street of their "front yard." I intend to get to know this little man, and seeing as how we have a connection to the Philippines that will bring us back there someday, I may have the joy of one day meeting him in person.

I always tell people when I talk about adoption that not all of us were called to adopt. Child sponsorship is one of many other ways to make a difference in the life of a child. Go to www.worldvision.org and www.compassioninternational.org to find out more about providing for a child in need.

No comments: