theme

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Wedding, A Unicorn, and Oompa Loompas



First I need to introduce you to The Magical Unicorn.  I do not remember when it first took up residence at our home, but I believe it was a Christmas gift for Kelsea when she was a toddler.  One day Kelsea's Uncle Jamie was visiting our home, and he came across The Magical Unicorn.  He proceeded to entertain her with it for quite a while, although we were convinced he was entertaining himself just as much.  From that day on, whenever Uncle Jamie visited, The Magical Unicorn came out to play. 


It found itself the star of many humorous activities, such as the time it sent a special card to Jamie in his hospital bed, the time it gifted him with unicorn bandaids for Christmas, and the time it sent him a photo of an amazing costume it thought would be perfect for him. 



And with that background in mind.....let's move on to The Dream.

I never have "good" dreams.  My dreams are either uncomfortably bizarre or horrifically violent.  Every night.  And I remember all the details when I awaken.  Last night's was of the bizarre nature.  Let me share the story as it unfolded:

I am at the wedding of my firstborn daughter.  Kylie looks fabulous in her traditional white gown.  I give her a kiss and then head into the church sanctuary, standing in the back to await being escorted to my seat.  And then the wedding party emerges from the front side entrances and lines up on the stage.  To my horror, I notice that each of the 6 bridesmaids and 6 groomsmen are wearing cartoon character costumes (Scooby Doo and Barbie from Fairytopia were represented, as I recall).  Mouth hanging open, my eyes then focus on one of the Bridesmaids.  It is not a person at all.....it is The Magical Unicorn.  And I knew right then who had coordinated the wedding.  Uncle Jamie.  I look to the opposite side of the foyer and see him then, fist-pumping in delight.  "Oh dear God, no!"

Fearing I may be escorted to my seat by a Ninja Turtle, I quickly sneak up to the front of the sanctuary and sit down before anyone notices.  The cartoon characters are now dancing on stage as I turn and see Kylie walk down the aisle to the theme song from Barney ("I love you....you love me....we're a happy family).  Roger isn't with her.....I'm assuming he's passed out somewhere after realizing that most of the money he spent on the wedding went towards costumes.  I glance over at the groom's side of the sanctuary and notice that all of the guests are dressed up as Oompa Loompas.  I have no idea who the groom was, but I'm fairly certain he was equally responsible for the delightful wedding theme.  OUR side of the family seating area is respectably dressed, after all.   

Kylie reaches the front of the sanctuary, and suddenly turns and walks back the other way.  The Oompa Loompas and wedding party shed their costumes (surprisingly they are not nude, but are wearing suits and dresses underneath).  The music changes to the Wedding March.  Kylie winks at me and then I wake up. 

There are several lessons I will take from this dream:  The Magical Unicorn must be locked away upon Kylie's engagement; Jamie must be locked away upon Kylie's engagement; Kylie's fiance must be vetted upon her engagment to root out any connection to Willy Wonka, including family members that resemble Oompa Loompas.

And now I leave you with the lovely song The Magical Unicorn sings when it's right ear is pressed.

I'm a magical unicorn
Rainbow colors and glowing horn
We'll have lots of fun today
Won't you come with me and play?

It will now haunt me forever.

2 comments:

David Golden said...

Dreams can come true.... if you only believe!

GrammaKaren said...

Oh my such a dream. But then much better than a violent one.