1. Daily Omega-3 supplements (every book I read said this would help)
2. At least half an hour of sunlight a day (assuming there is any)
3. Exercise 5 days a week
4. Eat healthy foods
5. Attempt to get 8 hours of sleep
6. Follow a daily routine
7. Spiritual growth through books/Bible study
8. Take time daily for things that bring me joy
Sounds pretty simple when condensed into a short list, but each of these seven priorities takes motivation and energy that tends to be lacking in those struggling with depression, like myself. Not to mention that I've been trying to succeed at the last five items for the past twenty years with varying degrees of success. Most of these are just basic things that would serve anyone well, not just those overcoming depression. Oh well....nothing like a clinical illness to spur you forward into doing what you should be doing anyway. Come to think of it, maybe that's what God had to do to get me to the point where I'm forced to work harder at making my life better because I have no other choice. I would have much preferred that He would have simply provided me with the health and mental capacity to meet these goals in the first place without letting me slowly slide into a pit over the last five years and then fight twice as hard as everyone else to accomplish what I would have happily tried my best to accomplish given better circumstances. But, as usual, He didn't ask me my opinion ahead of time.
So here I go....back on the roller coaster of life. I've been sitting on the sidelines waiting for medication to get me to a place where I am more motivated and have more energy for all of these goals. But I'm tired of waiting, and I know I need to do the work regardless of success with the meds. It's just going to make it that much harder. But hey....I know hard. I can do hard. Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment