theme

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The 1st Day of the Rest of My Life

Right about now most of you have noticed how much weight I have to lose on my ticker and are e-mailing all of your friends with messages that begin with, "Did you see.....?!"  Don't feel bad.  The more potential for humiliation the more potential for weight loss.  I will update my ticker each Monday for my blog readers, and also for my husband who, if he values his life, will secretly check my blog rather than ask me how much weight I lost each week.  You can look for daily weight loss posts as well....but you may not always find them.  After all, my ratio of children to hired housecleaners is 4:0. 

Perhaps I should dedicate this first post to HOW I intend to lose all this weight.  The first answer is:  slowly.  It took 12 years to accumulate and I'm certain it will take at least a year to get rid of.  Also, I don't have money for plastic surgery when I am done, and I know you have seen photos of what happens when people lose this much weight quickly....what's hiding underneath those skinny clothes is not a pretty picture.  And finally, my metabolism sucks (I know all fat people say that....but mine really does.  Really.  No.....really).  What may take one person a month to lose will most certainly take me three.  In the past this would have ticked me off and stopped me from trying altogether, but not anymore.

What will I be eating?  I'm keeping it uncomplicated. Here is a typical day's meal plan:
Breakfast:  Coffee or sparkling flavored water.  Oatmeal or a smoothie.
Snack:  Fruit &  1/2 english muffin
Lunch:  Teriyaki chicken bowl or Turkey sandwich on wheat with fruit
Snack:  1/2 cup homemade trail mix.  Fruit
Dinner:  Whatever my family is eating in smaller portions, or a frozen diet entree.
Snack:   Cup of spiced cider

How will I be exercising? 
Beginning next week - 5 Days a week, starting out at 30 minutes a day and working up to more.  Treadmill, walking the lake, and a combination strength training/cardio dvd. 

Challenges I will face:
To begin with, my body appears to be genetically programmed to think it's starving itself to death if I cut out even 100 calories at which point even a glass of water will turn straight to fat.  My dad's side of the family are all overweight, and I am convinced that the only reason my dad is not is because he has kept up an addiction to weight training since before I was born.  I have Mississippi blood flowing through my veins, which in the South equates to homemade gravy.  Thank God my girls take after my husband's side of the family and have the metabolism of a gnat.  Secondly, since I am so out of shape, my body is not capable of doing all that I would like it to at this point.  My right leg goes numb below the knee when I walk any distance due to a messed-up disc in my back, and I have frequent headaches which often turn into migraines.  I'll have to work around these issues.  Finally, I tend to have an all-or-nothing mindset which means if I can't do something perfectly, I get angry with myself and, rather than face the reality of failing, I decide to quit before I fail.  Which of course is the same as failing.  But no longer......from now on my failures will simply become the source of humor at my expense and for your benefit in my blog posts.

So, this is day one.  It went o.k.  Except I was out of Diet Coke.  I'm not fun to be around when I'm out of Diet Coke.  But I'm trying not to buy as much because I know it is not good for me and I want to be healthy as well as skinny.  Also, Kian whined ALL morning while I counted the minutes until the bus came, which put me in the mood for a slice of Kylie's frozen pizza for lunch, but instead I opted for a bowl of 220 calorie soup with a small slice of bread.  The soup was completely unsatisfying and tasteless.  Dinner was take and bake pizza (out of necessity since I was on the road at dinner time for a spur of the moment kid activity).  I had one piece more than I should have, but one piece less than I normally would have (making up for my lackluster lunch, I suppose).   I spent most of the day working on my blog and got hardly any excercise.  But on a positive note, it's really hard to snack when you're typing on the computer....so it all evens out, right?  Day one is always the easiest......I still have all that Obama-esque "hope and change" going for me.  The true test will be how I'm doing when the hypothetical oil spills, economy crashes, and mid-term elections arrive.

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Erin--I am right there with you. I started getting serious about my need to lose about 100 lbs too about 2 months ago and have given myself a year to do so. Making little goals along the way to keep myself motivated. I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear all about the progress on this journey! Marjorie

NOT JUNE CLEAVER said...

Thanks Marjorie. It helps to know others are in the same boat! I need to make some mini-goals also so it doesn't seem so overwhelming.

David Golden said...

Good for you, and what great insight about the perfection/failure thing. I have a similar thing going, except that mine manifests as needing to do it perfectly versus just procrastinating and never doing it.

After seeing all the photos of your daughters, I would be more likely to describe them as having the metabolisms of finely conditioned thoroughbred race horses, rather than gnats :P